Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Joe is home from surgery


This is a copy of Joe's knee. We had to be at the Slocum building at 6:00 am this morning basically to fill out some paperwork and the get Joe prepped for surgery, He was in surgery approximately 20 minutes. Dr Shapiro came out to let me know all was fine and that he has to repair torn cartilage in his left knee. A few minute later I was brought back to see Joe by a CNA named Tanya (we used to work together at the DA's office)Man was Joe loopy! I don't know what was in the Anesthetics they gave him through his IV but he was one wired guy. He was talking abut doing some pretty crazy stuff that I can't repeat on the blog or people might get the wrong impression of my husband. He was given the instructions to limit his activity, especially weight-bearing over the next 48 hours. He must use crutches the day of surgery, with minimal weight bearing, no matter how comfortable his knee might feel. he is to to remove the TED stocking only when showering beginning 2 days after surgery provided the incisions are dry and not draining. His steri strips are to remain in place for 5-10 days and then may be removed at 10 days if still in place. He is to use an ice pack for 30 minutes at a time several times a day.
On our way home I needed to stop and get his prescription filled but the Pharmacy I went to (Hiron's) was not open until 9:30 and I didn't want to wait that long so we headed into Springfield to Safeway. Joe sat in the car while I waited to get his pain medication.
He is home and seems to be doing fine. I'm just glad the wacky drugs have worn off...wow, that was a real trip.
He will have a follow-up appointment on Jan. 7th. For now he is home and resting doing what he does best....watching hunting shows....yeah!
If things change I will do another update otherwise rest assured that he is healing fine.
We hope you all have a great time tonight anticipating the arrival of Santa Claus. I know I will do my best to try and get some sleep so he can come to my house.

3 comments:

Kimi said...

Those are some pretty crazy pictures! Get some rest Dad and take it easy!
Enjoy your Christmas Eve and Day with the rest of the family! We love you and miss you and wish we could have been there too to celebrate the holiday.
Love you guys!

Karen K. said...

Now I am just SO CURIOUS about what he said! Tell him I hope he heals quickly. Merry After-Christmas!

Sisters: Chunky to Skinny said...

I am glad to hear Dad is doing better and not talking crazy anymore!!! LOL It was nice to see him actually mind and relax. Glad we could be there for Christmas.